About Dr. Sharol Tilgner
About Dr. Sharol Tilgner
Who Is Sharol Tilgner
I have over 30 years experience as an herbalist/Physician, 35 years as an herbalist/herbal medicine maker, 25 years as an herbal farmer and 22 years as a teacher. I am a fourth generation Oregonian, an organic/biodynamic farmer, physician, herbalist, & modern day renaissance woman. I teach others to grow, and preserve their food and medicine and stay healthy via natural methods. I reap tremendous joy from teaching people to take charge of their health care. Writing is one of the best ways to reach people, and share my knowledge as a physician/herbalist/farmer. I use blogging, books, free website information and classes as a way to share tools, as I endeavor to co-create a beautiful world. Two of my books are available on this website, and I am currently writing new e-books, as well as more paperbacks on medicinal herbs, as well as how to stay healthy around toxins.
A Science Geek
I am a science geek, and find myself reading medical research journals until 2:00 AM trying to understand better the nitty-gritty of a specific molecule found in a plant, and how it affects receptors on cells, or how a particular gut bacteria affects our body. I try to make science as plane Jane as I can in my mind, as well as my explanation of the scientific health aspects to all of you. I want you to understand the science behind how various factors influence your health. Sometimes science provides a missing piece of data that makes our lives better, and that is why I continue reading those research journals. Research studies are fascinating, but I also take them with a grain of salt. Today's science is outdated tomorrow, whereas spiritual knowledge is never obsolete.
Ensconced In The Reality Of Intuition And Self Knowledge
Direct knowledge or what does, and does not work to enhance health always over-rides science when they conflict. If I know a nutritional, herbal, or lifestyle application works, but it conflicts with science, then science has not caught up with reality yet.
Intuition and self-knowledge is my supreme guidance as far as health. My body tells me what is and is not okay for it and I listen. I teach others to do the same. Each of us is our own healer.
Dedicated to Responsibility
I am big on self-responsibility and self-improvement in health as well as in general life.
Try to Keep It Light
I try not to take life too seriously, and when I do I remind myself to stop and have a nature break.
My greatest joy is gardening. Nothing smells as good as homemade, organic compost.
My favorite meal is grazing pollen from plants and nibbling fruit and vegetables as I walk around the garden.
Spirit is The Guiding Force
There is nothing without spirit, and I strive to be aware of this at all times. I honor spirit in everyone and everything.
Being of Service
We are here to be of service to each other, and experience life to its fullest. That is foremost in my mind.
Graduated From the National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon in 1990.
Although my formal education as a naturopathic physician laid the ground-work for understanding how to cultivate health, my greatest teachers are my students, clients and nature. Ultimately the Creator has been and is my greatest source of healing inspiration in my own life and for most of my clients.
- Founder and owner of Wise Woman Herbals, 1988 to 2002
- Director, University of Natural Medicine's pharmacy, 1990 to 1992.
- Cofounder of the first Wise Acres organic herb farm in Cottage Grove OR, 1996 to 1999 when it became Shalimar Gardens. Wise Acres Farm moved to Pleasant Hill where it prospered as a teaching site until 2016.
- Founder and past owner of the Pacific Northwest Herbal Symposium, 1995 to 2002
- Founder and sponsor of the Sustainable Lifestyles Festival 2009.
- Founder and Editor of Herbal Transitions newsletter, 1996 to 2002
- Associate editor of Medical Herbalism, 1992 to 2000
- Founder of the NW Herb Fest.
- Founder of Wise Acres Publishing.
- Founder and of Wise Acres Herbal Educational Farm.
Past Lecture Venues
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians Convention
- Bastyr College of Naturopathic Medicine
Biodynamic Conference of Oregon
- Breitenbush Hot Springs Herbal Conference
- Gaia Symposium
- NW Herb Fest
- National University of Natural Medicine
- Northwest Naturopathic Convention
- Oregon Native Plant Society
- Pacific Northwest Herbal Symposium
- Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Southwest Conference on Botanical Medicine
- Women's Herbal Gathering
- Herbal Reference and Educational Guide in 1991
- Herbal Medicine - From The Heart Of The Earth in 1999
- Herbal Formulas in 1999
- Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Earth, second revised edition in 2009
- Herbal ABC's - The Foundation of Herbal Medicine in 2018
- Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Earth, third completely expanded edition in 2020.
- Herbal Medicine: 190 Herbs to know and Use, 2021
- Herbal Formulas: 150 Proven Recipes For Radiant Health, 2021
Writing books, writing articles for this website and consulting with clients who are ill from water-damaged building exposure.
Books Currently Being Written
1) lay persons herb book, 2) turning "Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Earth" into three seperate e-books (requested by many readers, 2 of these are now finished and listed above) 3) mold related book (also requested by readers) 4) Demodex mites and Malassezia fungus - the missing piece to the skin puzzle (70% finishished)
You Are The Healer exists due to the generosity of my readers.
The Crowdfunding I receive through regular patrons allows me to continue this website. “I welcome donations through my company Wise Acres LLC, of any amount in lieu of using ads from outside sources, and thank you!” Please use the Pay Pal donate button. Purchasing my paperback books from this website or e-books from Amazon is another way to support this website. Please note we are not non-profit and donations are not tax deductible.