What You Can Expect From "Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Earth"!
What To Expect from Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Earth
An herbal reference guide for the herbalist, nurse, physician, pharmacist, or lay person who wants a textbook level education on herbal remedies. See what great information this book contains, and read reviews from acknowledged experts.
- Written by the founder of Wise Woman Herbals who shares all her herbal secrets gained from 35 years of experience as a clinician, herb farmer, herbal remedy maker and lover of herbs.
- An encyclopedia of 190 Herbs to know, use in formulas and make into healing herbal remedies or products.
- Learn to use these herbs in herbal formulas or recipes for the most common health conditions, organized by body systems.
- Learn which part of each herb is used, how it tastes and smells, tendencies of the herb, actions of the herb, dosage, active herbal constituents, contraindications, as well as information on interactions with drugs is included.
- An introduction to herbal medicine product forms comparing the advantages and disadvantages of herbal tinctures, glycerites, capsules, salves, suppositories, steam inhalations, poultices, teas and many others.
- Herbal Formulations and recipes include doses for most common ailments with explanations of why each herb is in the formula.
- A resource to help practitioners integrate herbal therapy into their practice with clients or patients.
- A detailed description of how to make the most common classifications of herbal products.
See Book Reviews At The Bottom Of This page
Changes In the 3rd Edition
- 472 pages
- Expanded Materia Medica
- Expanded Herbal Formulas
- Expanded Properties and Actions of Herbs
- Expanded Dictionary of Herbal Preparations
- New category in the materia medica called "mechanisms of action"
- Some herbs were removed from the materia medica and others added
- The materia medica was completely revised bringing it into the 21st century
- Many of the herbal formulas had slight alterations and others were replaced with new formulas, that I have found to be more useful over my 30 years of being an herbalist and physician
- Formulas for new ailments added
- Made the book more user friendly
- The index was expanded and re-organized
- 281 more research articles are referenced to support the new additions in the materia medica, for a total of 926
- 33 more pages added to the book
- Changed formatting to allow more data on each page, which ultimately decreased the number of extra pages and kept the price from increasing
"When I owned Wise Woman Herbals, I was often on the phone answering other practitioner's questions about herbal medicine. These inquiries prompted me to write this comprehensive book, Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth. This one book provides answers to many questions the herbal student is seeking. "Herbal Medicine From The Heart Of The Eearth" takes on the three major areas of herbal studies which includes 1) How to use individual herbs 2) Making and using herbal formulas for health conditions and 3) How to make herbal products." - Sharol Tilgner ND
What Makes Dr. Sharol An Expert: Sharol Tilgner's Bio
This book in it's various incarnations of the first, second and third edition has been used at Naturopathic Colleges and Herbal Schools for twenty-three years.
See more details and reviews from the 3rd edition below.
One Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth for $29.95 which includes free shipping in the U.S.A.
Sold in the United States only.
What Respected Herbal Experts Have To Say:
“A wonderful guide for those new to herbs as well as an excellent formulary for those already skilled in herbalism. Sharol Tilgner has combined her triple skills of healing, farming and medicine making in her unique work with the plants.” ~Rosemary Gladstar, author, herbalist,
founder of United Plant Savers.
“Dr. Tilgner has written an impressive well-researched guide on the use of herbs that professionals and lay people alike will find very practical and informative.” ~Christiane Northrup M.D.
“This is an important text for the budding herbalist, and a handy reference for the experienced clinician. Dr. Tilgner has done an excellent job of pulling together a large amount of information and making it easy to access. A most valuable and useful addition to anyone’s herbal library.” ~Jillian E. Stansbury N.D.
Paul Bergner, North American Insitute of Medical Herbalism, said it succinctly when he wrote,
- “ This book is broad enough in scope that it contains within it enough material for three books.”
- "Herbal Medicine from the Heart of the Earth contains the most up-to-date, detailed information on 192 valuable herbs including, dosage, specific indications, general uses, active constituents, and contraindications."
- “Another helpful tool is the charts that are used in the book.”
- “There is a helpful section on collecting, drying and storing herbs with a chart on harvesting and preparation.”
- "This one book will give you important information you need to know about harvesting, storage, preparation of herbal products, preparation of formulas, and clinical use of the most valuable herbs known to practitioners."
Herbal Experts Give Full Reviews On The 3rd Edition
Review By Juliette Abigail Carr, RH (AHG)
Dr. Sharol Marie Tilgner’s latest missive is an updated 3rd Edition of the now-classic Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth, first published in 1999.
Heart of the Earth is one of those herbals that sticks with you. When I brought up receiving a review copy, many of my friends within the professional herbalism community responded with joy to hear of the new edition, as well as nostalgia for the original. Many herbalists of my generation see Dr. Tilgner’s classic as a foundational book in their journey. It is widely considered to be one of the most important fundamental herbals of my generation, and was in fact the very first herbal that I owned. My mother bought it for me around 2002, after I fell down an irreversible rabbit hole with a Rosemary Gladstar book she got on a whim at the library to go with the plant ID book I had asked for. I learned to make tinctures from this book. To be clear, I went on to own a tincture company, then a private practice and an herb school, so to say that Dr. Tilgner’s work has been influential on my life is something of an understatement. Would I have learned to make tinctures without Heart of the Earth? Yes, I’m sure I would have—but I will always have that heartsqueeze of nostalgia when I see that cheerful bright yellow cover and think back to my early days learning about the magic of plant medicine among the weeds in my mother’s lawn.
Heart of the Earth is almost encyclopedic in its usefulness. The new edition has all the clear, concise, and unceasingly useful information of the previous versions, updated and expanded as research and practice have progressed in the last 20 years. It includes an incredibly thorough Materia Medica section, providing exacting details on most of the medicinal herbs in common use today, in double columns for almost 200 pages: there is so much knowledge here! The herbs are then woven together into graceful formulas organized by body system and by specific problem, so a reader can reference helpful formulas for exactly what they need in the moment, or study a body system and its herbal allies in more depth at their leisure. My students all know how I feel about a good index, and this book gets full marks for well-thought-out organization. Heart of the Earth also contains an extensive section on how to make herbal remedies, dosing, and reference sections for herbal actions, remedy types, and scientific names. It is a complete introduction to modern herbal knowledge.
Both home herbalists and professional herbalists will find much to appreciate in this new edition; I particularly loved the comparison chart of 16 of the most commonly-used herbs for the uterine system, finding it to be a clear, comprehensive presentation of a complex topic. I consider this book to be one of the absolute best references and self-teaching books for home herbalists, and highly recommend it.
—Juliette Abigail Carr, Registered Herbalist (AHG), RNC
Review By Sajah Popham
“Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth has been a primary go-to book throughout my career as an herbalist, both within the medicine making lab and the clinic. It contains one of the most in-depth and flexible formularies, explaining not just what the formula is and how it’s used, but why each remedy is in there, which is an invaluable teaching tool. And let’s not forget the glorious appendix on herb to menstruum ratios and what percentage alcohol will best extract each plant… Tilgner’s book is one-of-a-kind and a must-have for all beginner and advanced herbalists alike. I expect my third edition will look just like my first and second: dog-eared, tincture stained, dirt smudged, and looking a little rough, like a well used herb book should be.”
— Sajah Popham, author of Evolutionary Herbalism: Science, Medicine and Spirituality from the Heart of Nature
Title: Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth
Edition: 3rd, completely revised and expanded.
Pages: 472, 7 inches wide x 9 inches high
Publication date: January 1, 2020
See Dr. Tilgner's Bio: Sharol Tilgner's Bio
You Are The Healer exists due to the generosity of my readers.
The Crowdfunding I receive through regular patrons allows me to continue this website. “I welcome donations through my company Wise Acres LLC, of any amount in lieu of using ads from outside sources, and thank you!” Please use the Pay Pal donate button. Purchasing my paperback books from this website or e-books from Amazon is another way to support this website. Please note we are not non-profit and donations are not tax deductible.